Monday 24 October 2011

24th Oct 2:30pm


After lessons the children have porridge at 10:30am, they have a cup of watery porridge (not made out of oats I don’t think) and they sit on the steps in the central area of the school. All the children love sitting out and running around, and we play games with them or sit and chat to the ones who have better English.

When I came back up to the volunteer house Megan and Kristina had baked a cake with the supplies we had got, so Alex will have his cake tonight with all the children.



After porridge I went into standard 3 maths (not intentionally repeating classes) and helped the kids with addition, I did some marking and then any that were incorrect I went through other examples with them, One girl was particularly stuck and I sat with her for a while. Her English was pretty non-existent, so I hope the examples were helpful since numbers and symbols are universal.

One thing that made maths really hard for me to help with, was the way most Tanzanians add ‘ee’ sounds to the end of words. So 8 x 10 = 80 = ‘eightee’ but 18 – 10 = 8 = ‘eightee’

This made life much more difficult; even the teachers do it – ‘blackboardee’. I don’t know why but I’m going to attempt to get them out of the habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment