Saturday 22 October 2011

22nd Oct 9:15pm


Arusha was really good, it's not a particularly pretty city, but where it is, there are huge purple trees that tower over everything. We wandered around the streets for a while and then went dinner at a cute little cafe called Masai Cafe where we bought pizza which was lovely.

We went to a shop and all the people were laughing at us trying to explain what we needed. We also went to an Internet cafe (where I started blogging) and I heard loads of other girls talking about how they were also at orphanages.

We met this Canadian girl who interviewed us on our volunteer experience for he phd. It was good to heat about the way the orphanage works, apparently there is very little structure for volunteers (Sean the volunteer coordinator has gone home due to family circumstances) so we have a lot leeway to do things. Like tonight I helped make chipates at tea time, with Auntie Maggie, asthe kids called her.

The conversation tonight between the volunteers here was kind of bad; apparently Peace Matunda will send students home if they don't have socks on, some of these kids will have walked 2 hours to get to school over hills and rivers. I thought this was bad until Tom (the other English volunteer) said that other schools might beat their students for not habit socks on!

Ps. Today I nearly had something stolen! We were about to get on the dala-dala and this guy started to unzip my bag, I just flicked his hand away and moved, but it shook me up slightly. Kristina then told me that it's massively frowned upon and sometimes thief's may get stoned - rocks thrown at then until they die underneath a pile of rocks from bleeding or suffocation.
It's safe to say I'm glad I didn't make a fuss.

1 comment:

  1. very interestingg, sounds like you had a good time

    ReplyDelete